Satisfy the demand of fuels and lubricants in a timely manner to contribute to the sustainable development of the country.
We are the organization that guarantees the reliable, continuous, affordable, accessible and available supply of fuels and lubricants that contributes to the country's energy security (Approved by agreement No. 0087 of the Board of Directors on January 22, 2019).
At the triumph of the Revolution in Cuba began an impetuous industrial development that included the oil industry, carried out for the first time by the Cubans in benefit of the town. Starting in 2000, the business reorganization and improvement in the companies of Cuba-Petroleo and in its Main Office began, with several events taking place, among which the following stand out:
• Conception and implementation of a comprehensive system for the management and operation of fuels from importation to commercialization.
• Application of more modern techniques in the drilling, development, production and improvement of the national crude oil.
• Creation and development of specialized services companies that include petroleum services, maintenance, construction, transportation and general services.
• Start of exploration in the exclusive Economic Zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
• Introduction of Methane Air replacing naphtha as an energy source for the production of manufactured gas.
The production of national crude oil remains high. CUPET's overall strategy is to increase oil and gas reserves, guaranteeing its optimum utilization as a fundamental way to meet the supply of fuels and lubricants to customers and people in a timely manner with high quality and low costs. The strategic lines of action have been the following:
- Increase the production of crude oil and gas.
- Ensure maximum use of natural gas.
- Accelerate the assimilation of the Exclusive Economic Zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
- To optimize the refining, adapting it to the consumption structure of the country.
- Optimize the distribution and consumption of fuels in the national market.
- Develop a system of customer service and people.
- Meet the needs of domestic fuels to the population.
- Reorder and optimize the logistics of fuels in the national market.
- Consolidate CUBALUB's position in the national lubricants market.
- Implement and maintain a Corporate Total Quality Management System in the Union according to ISO 9001-2000 standards.
- To seek external and internal financing for strategic investments.
- Increase the productivity of Human Capital. - Develop information technology implemented a comprehensive system.
- Secure basic supplies and supplies in a timely and efficient manner.
- Accelerate the process of corporate transformation.
- Ensure preparation for the defense of our facilities to make them an impregnable bastion.
Discovered deposit in Motembo, Corralillo
The history of Cuban oil began in 1860 when this site was discovered. This allowed the first four wells to be drilled on August 18, 1881. It was where naphtha was first found at depths between 8000 and 1000 feet.
First geological and geophysical works to search for oil
The first geological and geophysical works applied to the search for oil began in 1930.
Refinery is installed in the center of the country.
With the discovery of the Jarahueca deposit, a small refinery is installed in the central part of the country, (today Sergio Soto). In 1942 a group of Cubans built a facility in Cabaiguan to refine crude oil from Jarahueca and obtain mainly gasoline, taking advantage of the shortage of petroleum products during World War II. It could not be considered as a refinery because of its smallness and rudimentary and outdated equipment. Improvements and additions were introduced in 1947.
Foreign companies in Cuba.
By the end of the 1950s, more than 26 foreign companies operated in Cuba, almost all of them North American, such as:
• Shell Oil Co.
• Esso Standard Oil. Co.
• Cuban Kewance Co.
• Standard Oil Co. Of Indiana (Stanolid)
The Cuban Petroleum Institute (ICP) is created
In November 1959 Law 635 was published in which article 16 created the Cuban Oil Institute (ICP). At that time, 3.2 million tons of petroleum derivatives were consumed annually, most of which were distributed to consumers directly from the refineries and the other part by the “JOBBERS” (small distributors who were mainly in charge of the deliveries of kerosene). and domestic alcohol).
Nationalization of refineries.
The refineries of foreign capital (ESSO STANDARD OIL and TEXACO OIL CO) refuse to refine Soviet crude, so on August 6, the nationalization of the refineries is decreed, from that moment on all refineries suffer technological modifications and caused the exodus of engineers, leading specialists and experienced workers in oil refining, yet the refineries continued to operate thanks to the efforts of those who stayed.
1972 – 1974´s
The Melones - Marianao naphtaduct is built and the Gas Liquefied factory starts up.
1973: Start-up of the new Manufactured Gas factory in Marianao (increases the number of consumers in the domestic sector)
1983 to 1990´s
New refinery in Cienfuegos and its subsequent modernization
Construction and installation of "Camilo Cienfuegos" refinery, one of the great investments made with the collaboration of the USSR.
October 2007: Recovery and modernization of this refinery as one of the integration projects of the Caribbean, and of the peoples of our America, benefits of its implementation
Completed the Matanzas Supertanker Base
1989: The deep-water dock of the Matanzas Supertanker Base comes into service and 1991: The Supertanker Base in Matanzas Bay is completed with the capacity to receive ships of up to 150,000 tons of displacement.
CUBALUB arises for the production and commercialization of lubricants
Cubalub appears as an enterprise with the objective of consolidating the activities of production, services and commercialization of lubricants.
First enterprisewithin the CUPET system to certify its Quality Management System by the ISO 9002: 94 standards by Bureau Veritas and the ONN. (September 2001)
It allows the replacement of imports from the introduction of new products on the market
Joint venture ENERGAS S.A. is created
December 2000: ENERGAS S. A. arises, a joint venture between CUPET, Unión Eléctrica and the Canadian company Sherritt International. This produces the lowest cost electricity that is delivered to the National Energy System, since it is obtained with high efficiency from the consumption of natural gas emanating from the Matanzas oil wells, north of Havana and Mayabeque.
Oil platforms on Cuban coasts for the drilling campaign for oil exploration wells in the Exclusive Economic Zone of Cuba in the Gulf of Mexico
The Scarabeo 9 semi-submersible platform of the Repsol company arrives in the north of the western region of our country with a view to restarting the drilling campaign for deep-water oil exploration wells in the Exclusive Economic Zone of Cuba in the Gulf of Mexico, by virtue of of an agreement concluded with the Repsol company.
December 2013, the Songa Mercur oil platform of the Russian oil company Zarubezhneft arrives in the north of the island to carry out drilling with the Russian oil company Zarubezhneft.
Horizontal drilling of oil wells begins
The 1008 largest well in the nation, with a horizontal displacement towards the sea that exceeds 8 thousand meters. Horizontal drilling (1009 and 1008 started in late 2016)
Construction of the Puerto Escondido-Yumurí gas pipeline by Emcor-Ductos
The construction of the Puerto Escondido-Yumurí gas pipeline, located on the north coast between the western provinces of Mayabeque and Matanzas, Its greatest benefit will be to recover the gases released into the environment in the distillation of fuels, which pollute the atmosphere, for energy use as manufactured gas and electricity, in addition to increasing volumes in electricity generation. It also means savings for the country's economy as oil imports are reduced, fleets of trucks are eliminated to transport fuel to generating plants, with dangerous transportation by road. It will represent significant savings for the country in terms of fuel.